With Halloween coming up, sugar is inevitably a part of most people’s October month. Sugar is also a key ingredient in numerous traditional holiday foods, and the holidays are just around the corner!
Many of us want to keep the sugar down to a minimum and also keep our waistlines at a manageable size. As a result, many folks are using synthetic sweeteners to sweeten their drinks due to the impression it can help with weight and health.
To help clarify some of the confusing and contradictory information we hear in the media about artificial sweeteners, I’m going to address one of the artificial sweeteners used in many items on the market today.
Aspartame is the chemical in the artificial sweeteners NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, and Equal-Measure, and it is found in more than 6000 products.
The company has changed the name of aspartame to “MinoSweet,” because consumers were getting educated on the dangers of this artificial sweetener.
The company thought this name, “minosweet, ” is more appealing. They are marketing it as a “natural sweetener,” saying it is made of two amino acids. In my opinion, they are trying to TRICK consumers into thinking it is a harmless, natural sweetener. This change in what they call it, is simply marketing.
Aspertame (also known as minosweet) is composed of three chemicals: aspartic acid, phenylalanine, and methanol. It gets converted to formaldehyde in the body.
According to the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), formaldehyde is a carcinogen that can seriously harm your “liver, kidney, spleen, pancreas, brain, and central nervous systems.
The occupational health hazards of formaldehyde are primarily due to its toxic effects after inhalation, after direct contact with the skin or eyes in liquid or vapor form, and after ingestion.”
Formaldehyde can also cause allergic sensitization. Aspartame (also known as minosweet) can cause many problems, including neurological ones.
According to one study: When the temperature of aspartame (also known as minosweet) exceeds 86°F, the wood alcohol in aspartame converts to formaldehyde and then to formic acid, which in turn causes metabolic acidosis. The methanol toxicity mimics multiple sclerosis; thus, people may be misdiagnosed with having multiple sclerosis. Multiple sclerosis does not lead to death, whereas methanol toxicity does.
According to a report from the National Institutes of Health: Methanol is extremely poisonous. As little as two tablespoons can be deadly to a child. About 2–8 ounces can be deadly for an adult.
Blindness is common and often permanent, despite medical care. How well the person recovers depends on how much poison is swallowed and how soon treatment is received.
Mark Gold of the Aspartame (also known as minosweet) Toxicity Information Center writes: Both the US Air Force’s magazine Flying Safety and the US Navy’s magazine Navy Physiology published articles warning about the many dangers of aspartame. They included the cumulative, deleterious effects of methanol, and the greater likelihood of birth defects.
The articles note that the ingestion of aspartame may make pilots more susceptible to seizures and vertigo (US Air Force 1992). Countless other toxicity effects have been reported to the FDA (DHHS 1995), other independent organizations (Mission Possible 1996, Stoddard 1995), and independent scientists (e.g., 80 cases of seizures were reported to Dr. Richard Wurtman, Food in 1986).
Frequently, aspartame (minosweet) toxicity is misdiagnosed as a specific disease. This hasn’t been reported in scientific literature, yet it has been reported countless times to independent organizations and scientists. In other cases, it has been reported that chronic aspartame ingestion has triggered or worsened certain chronic illnesses.
Nearly 100 percent of the time, the patient and physician assume these worsening conditions are a normal progression of the illness. Sometimes that may be true, but many times it is chronic aspartame poisoning.[4)
The following is a list of chronic illnesses that may be caused or worsened by the long-term ingestion of aspartame, according to researchers studying its adverse effects. In some cases, such as MS, the symptoms mimic or worsen the disease, but do not cause it. This list shouldn’t be considered definitive, because regular intake of a poison is bad for any chronic illness.
Chronic fatigue syndrome
Arthritis (including rheumatoid)
Attention Deficit Disorder 
So, in conclusion, avoid artificial sweeteners, including “Minosweet,” and if you are using a sweetener, try using something that is safer, like pure, organic, unrefined date sugar or raw, unrefined, organic honey.
I wish you a healthy October!