or Leave a comment! Join the conversation!
Leave a comment! Join the conversation!
What We Put On Our And Our Baby’s Body Matters!
One day, when my children were small, I read some information on how the innocent Minnie Mouse Bubble Bath, I had just bathed my children in, could cause blindness. I was so alarmed. I started researching everything in my bathroom and reading ingredients on everything. I couldn’t believe the US government would allow toxin and carcinogenic ingredients in my and my children’s toothpaste, bubble bath, shampoo, etc.
I went through my bathroom cabinets and read all the ingredients. Because of that, I threw out almost everything that was in my and my children’s bathroom! Since then, I have been very careful about what I put on my body and my children’s.
The ingredients to look for are:
1. DEA or Diethanolamine- an ingredient used in many household and personal products like shampoo, bubble bath, lotions, detergents for laundry or dishwashing. DEA is a known toxin in industrial applications, now proven to cause cancer when applied to the skin of rats. DR.Samuel Epstein, author of “The Safe Shopper’s bible and founder of The American Coalition to Prevent Cancer and a leading authority on toxicology, issued a strong warning about the use of cocamide DEA or lauramide DEA. Many products contain these ingredients and don’t have warnings on them.
2. Propylene Glycol – an ingredient (main) in anti -freeze, hydraulic fluids and used as a solvent. It is also in pet food, lotions, shampoos, toothpastes, deodorants, processed foods, etc. This is a colorless, hygroscopic liquid has been tested by the American Academy of Dermatologists and found it causes skin irritation at low levels. it can be harmful if inhaled, ingested or absorbed into the skin. It can cause nausea, headaches, central nervous system depression, eye irritation, skin irritation, and gastrointestinal disturbances.
3. “SLS or Sodium Lauryl Sulfate- found in detergents, concrete cleaners, engine degreasers, etc. SLS is used in clinical studies to irritate skin tissue. It corrodes hair follicles and impairs ability to grow hair. When combined with other nitrogen bearing ingredients, carcinogenic nitrates can form. SLS enters the and maintains residual levels in the heart, liver, lungs and brain from skin contact. (shampoos?)” (2)
4. Talc- is similar to asbestos. ” Talc may result in fallopian tube fibrosis with resultant infertility. Question raised by Doctors Kasper and Chandler in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) 3/15/95. “Talc’s harmful effect on human tissue has been known for quite some time. Long ago, its dry lubricating properties were used as a glove-donning powder (easy to glide on) for surgical gloves. As early as the 1930’s, Talc was linked to post-operative granulomatous peritonitis and fibrous adhesions.” (3)
5. Alcohol used in many mouthwashes. “Mouthwashes with a content of higher than 25% or higher have been implicated in mouth, tongue and throat cancers.” (4)
Many people ask me what I put on my body and use for make up. I will never forget reading that lipstick has things like lead in it. So now, I use a certified organic make-up and skin care line by NYR Organic.
What we put on our skin, our largest organ, is absorbed right into the blood stream, so it is important to use safe and toxin free products.
I love this English company’s certified organic make-up, body care, baby products, essential oils, etc. They are also having some April and mother’s day specials. People ask me what I wear. This is where I order my make up, soaps, shampoos, essential oils, etc. I love the rose and frankincense products. The baby oil, shampoo and things are terrific. Right now they are having a couple of specials for April and Mother’s Day.
Here is the link for NYR Organic’s site:
If you have a health business, you can become a distributor and have it as part of your business.
The mouthwash I use and love is from Young Living an essential oil company.I have loved it and use it frequently. It is a combination of anti viral, anti bacterial essential oils. It is called Thieves. it got it’s name from a band of thieves who would cover themselves with oil and then go rob the dead people who had died of the Plague. They never got the plague or died. So, the name of this combination is thieves. Here is the link to that site: Click here.
So, in conclusion, read ingredient labels and become savvy in protecting you and your family from toxic chemicals in your daily life.
Rub A Dub Dub…Is Cancer In Your Tub. Published by Network News and Publications 1999. Young Living Oils brochure. Website: https://www.youngliving.org/oils4wellness
1. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Toxicology Program- NTP TR 478. Two year study concluded 1997.
2. Rub A Dub Dub…Is Cancer In Your Tub. Published by Network News and Publications 1999. Young Living Oils brochure. Website: https://www.youngliving.org/oils4wellness
3. Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) 3/15/95 from the Nutrition Health Review , Summer 1995 n73 p.8
and U. S News and World Report, March 17, 1997, v122 n10 p 77.
4. National Cancer Institute 4/22/91